Cancer can be beaten, and to all cancer survivors:
“You are a warrior! And Warriors don’t quit! Cancer is just one chapter in your life and not the whole story.”
During the month of June, Helderberg Hospice is celebrating all the unsung heroes who have survived the dread disease that has many faces – cancer. Our Helderberg Hospice Nursing Services Manager, Sr Thandi Sililo, is a passionate advocate for Palliative Care and says that working at Helderberg Hospice is a real privilege, as one works amongst a team of Palliative Care specialist Professionals, who are able to compassionately care for and support others during a time when they need it the most.
Sr Thandi continues to say that our greatest wealth is our health and thus prevention is always better than cure. We should never take our health for granted. The following are some of the things we can do, to ensure that we remain healthy:
- Making some lifestyle changes: get moving! Exercise! Breathe deeply!
- Eating nutritious and well balanced meals, including the recommended 5 servings a day of fresh fruit and vegetables, and keeping fast food to a minimum
- Early detection of life threatening illnesses is key to successful treatment and regular health & medical check-ups are essential. For women, have the Pap smears, breast examinations & mammograms and for men – regular annual medical check-ups to detect prostate cancer & other cancers.
- We all know our body’s best, and any change in the feel of breasts or testicles should have you making doctor’s appointments at the earliest opportunity.
- Use sunscreen lotions during summer and avoid being in the full glare of the sun as this helps to prevent skin cancers.
- Changes in shape, size or colour of moles and freckles should also be the trigger for a visit to the doctor.
Should you be diagnosed with a life threatening & limiting illness, Helderberg Hospice will offer you and your loved ones holistic care, psyco-social support, answer all your questions, and walk this path with you from the beginning of your journey. You as the patient will be able to make informed decisions about your care, and your chosen medical professional will also be supported by Helderberg Hospice in their care of you.
To all Cancer Survivors everywhere – We Salute you!!
For further information, Sr Thandi Sililo can be contacted at: email@example.com