Cancer patients are heroes – those who battle with this disease every day, those whose families walk with them, support them, dreading every new test and celebrating every small victory with them. Each one, patient and loved ones alike, are heroes in our eyes – dragon-slayers all!
Some of our heroes who have wielded the slayer’s sword have been kind enough to share their stories with us, stories that are both insightful for the reader and healing for the teller. They tell of the fear, sadness and numbness they felt at the initial diagnosis, they tell of losing the sense of self and self-worth along with the loss of breasts or the loss of hair, some of debilitating nausea with each dose of chemotherapy, some of overwhelming exhaustion after radiation therapy. But more than anything else they tell of staying positive, of the support and love of family and friends, of tremendous inner strength bolstered by their various faiths.
Where does Helderberg Hospice fit in to the story of survivors? The support of Palliative Care specialists can be invaluable in helping people come to terms with that initial terrifying diagnosis. “Dr Google” can be confusing at best and just wrong at worst. The questions one thinks of straight after the appointment with one’s medical professional can be answered by those who really know. Helderberg Hospice clinical staff will walk each and every step with you, and become the hilt of the sword you use to slay the mythical beast.
Statistics from 2018 show some interesting trends:
- 18.1 million new cases of cancer reported worldwide.
- In South Africa, 107 467 new cases were reported.
- By 2040 the number of new cancer cases is expected to rise to 29.5 million.
- Overall the number of cancer survivors has increased, which shows that some progress is being made against the disease, both medically and with lifestyle changes such as stopping smoking, eating healthy food, and getting regular exercise.
Supporting your local Hospice means that more and more people are able to receive the benefit of the holistic and caring services of Palliative Care.
You can support Helderberg Hospice in so many ways:
- We always need new volunteers – share your expertise and knowledge with us for a few hours a week: VOLUNTEER TODAY
- Join Club 1000 – R50 per month enters you in our exclusive Club and you stand the chance to win fabulous cash prizes each month: CLUB 1000
- Win a Car Competition – only 5000 tickets available to win a beautiful Hyundai Grand i10: WIN A CAR COMPETITION
- Let your loved one’s name shine for December on our Tree of Lights: TREE OF LIGHTS
- The highlight of the festive season is Helderberg Hospice Carols by Candlelight, 14 December 2022 at the stunning and award winning Vergelegen Wine Estate. This year we are excited to include Richard Cock as Music Director, joined by the incredible Mzanzi Tenors. Book early to avoid disappointment: CAROLS BY CANDLELIGHT